Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Cancer Survivor!

As I was driving home today, it occured to me that it's almost the end of October...yeah, I know - I'm not too bright and life seems to be moving WAY too fast to have any kind of proper reflection on anything. The end of October should mean Halloween, fall leaves, putting away summer clothes, etc. etc. And, it does -- as well as something else for me. It was exactly this time nine years ago that I was diagnosed with cancer. Yes, I have been a cancer survivor for NINE years! Pretty cool! I had my yearly checkup with my oncologist a few weeks ago and it felt AMAZING to just sit in the office and chat with her. I am grateful beyond belief to have been given the past nine years. Cancer taught me a lot of things - like life is too short and you should definitely spend more time DOING stuff and not CLEANING stuff (yeah, I'm trying to balance that out now, as having a clean house is a good thing!) I've learned compassion for all types of people in all types of situations. I learned my body could heal and do amazing things, like run the half-marathon just a year after treatment. I've learned to appreciate little and big things. Cancer heightened my curiousity about anything medical and that helps me SO much now at work! Blair might tell you that it's a tad annoying because I love to try and diagnosis stuff! The fact is, just working in the hospital is fun for me and surprisingly doesn't scare me because I know that the people there are just dealing with whatever situation has presented itself in their lives and trying to do the best they can. And, the sweetest part of the past nine years was the chance I didn't think I'd get...the chance to be a wife and mom. After cancer, I was just grateful to be here and then I received the greatest gift ever...Blair. And then a year later, Abby. Could one person be so blessed?


So, anyway...that is my rambling gratitude-ness tonight. I've included a picture taken during treatment with NO HAIR! I'm with my friends, Laurel & Melanie out for a fun dinner - and would you believe that I actually went on a blind date like that? Yep - no hair and all! I'm not sure what that says about me, but at least cancer didn't take away my sense of humor...might have even sharpened it over the years! Good night, all!





2 comments:

Laurel C. said...

What in the world are we standing in front of? Is that a LIMO? :) I remember that night, but I don't remember any limo! I am so glad your cancer story turned out how it did. And even better, I am glad that these past 9 years have been happy ones. I remember how scared and sad I was 9 years ago when you first told me about your diagnosis. I am so glad that it turned out the way it did... a happily ever after. :)

Kristin Randall said...

No, it's not a limo...it was whatever SUV Melanie & Jeff were driving at the time. :) Looks like one, though!
Yep, I'm pretty happy at how it's all turned out as well. It really does work to "count your many blessings!"