Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Monday, October 8, 2007

The Last Pumpkin Harvest Day


The pumpkin patch



Some of the beautiful pumpkins...



All lined up, ready for the kids!



Abby, loving the pumpkins!



Packed up, Pumpkin Harvest Day is over.

In my family, Columbus Day is really "Pumpkin Harvest Day" and has been for more than 25 years now. In fact, Abby argued with her teacher this morning, telling her that "No, it's not Columbus Day, it's Pumpkin Harvest Day!" We've taught her well. My dad has a HUGE garden and uses much of it to grow pumpkins, which we all harvest on Columbus Day and then cart over to my parent's house to distribute to anyone who would like one. We always hand out "pumpkin certificates" and the world pretty much shows up for a free pumpkin. As my grandma is selling the property, this year was our last. And, it was truly celebrated by all who were there! I hope you can tell by the pictures how truly beautiful my dad's garden is. I can only hope that some of that gardening talent has rubbed off on me and someday when we have enough room, we can have a garden as well. I am not a good one for endings and this feels like SUCH an ending! My mom assures me that we will have more fun family traditions and I hope so, we have been blessed over the years with such a fun way to spend a holiday. Abby is excited to start carving her pumpkin...we'll have to hold her off for a few weeks until Halloween. Happy Pumpkin Harvest Day, everyone!

1 comment:

Laurel C. said...

Looks like it was a beautiful day for pumpkin picking! :) I truly miss autumn in Utah (and spring and summer... not so much winter though. I draw the line there.) I loved your pumpkin pictures!