Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Monday, November 12, 2007

Happy Veteran's Day!

As yesterday was Veteran's Day (and it was celebrated today) I thought I'd just say a few things about the veterans that I know. My Grandpa Welling was in the Navy, as is my younger brother Jon and my Uncle Mike retired as a full colonel in the Air Force. I am proud to just be related to them! Saying "thank you" to all veterans is a HUGE understatement these days, but I still think it's important to say. I am especially impressed with those men and women who leave their lives and families behind to serve. I can't imagine the sacrifice that it would take to do that. So, in honor of Veteran's Day, a picture I took just Saturday....


Even though this country isn't what it could be at the moment, I think it's still important to remember the men and women who sacrificed everything so we could be here now. And, lest I launch into a huge political rant...
A new topic - Blair's hairless face! Every now and again, Blair decides that his facial hair has to go. Everytime this happens, I think he looks about 10-15 years younger. What do you think?
Here are Blair and Abby, watching a movie last night....

It's almost like living with an entirely different person!

And, last topic - I went to Abby's first Parent/Teacher Conference tonight and I AM SO PROUD OF HER!!!!!! She can already count to 100, read a few words, knows all her shapes, knows all her "kindergarten" colors, can write her name the "school way" (Capital A and the rest lower case letters) and her teacher calls her a "delight." I must say that I agree! After dinner most nights, we do "homework" (yes, there is homework in kindergarten!) and I am grateful that she is learning good habits that will hopefully see her through to graduate school. One of her goals is to read with a parent 15 minutes a night, so I guess it's time to go read and go to bed! Here is a recent picture she drew of Blair & Yogi (yes, she is artistically talented as well!)


I hope it's dark enough to see....I love how Blair actually has a beard! And, yes - she spelled both names by herself! OK, enough gushing...time to put her to bed. Good night, all!









2 comments:

Laurel C. said...

ZOWIE! You're right... Blair looks like a whole other person without the beard. I've never seen him without facial hair. It really took me aback.

I love the picture Abby drew. I can't wait to get cute little-kid drawings out of my kidlets someday. That has got to be one of the paybacks of being a mom. (Please tell me it makes up for the teetheing stage, 4 hours of sleep one night, and temper tantrums. All of which we are dealing with right now with Maddie and Ethan.)

Anonymous said...

I should read your blog more often, I'm not good at keeping in touch. Although I think we stand on opposite sides politically I appreciate your stand on veterans. I will tell you exactly what I have told everyone that has told me "thank you" for my service. I need nor deserve any thanks. I go to work and do my job everyday like everyone else. I chose a different path, a huge part of that path was my service. I really don't do it for you. That sounds harsh and wrong, but its the truth. I do it for the 34 Sailors and Marines that you have in-trusted to me. There is no greater feeling in the world than to know that someone's Father and Mother trust you with the welfare of their child. I deserve no thanks, I get more everyday from my military service than I could ever put into it. Thank you for the opportunity to serve. It has been and will forever be my distinct honor to be able to say, "I am a United States Sailor.

AE1(AW) Jonathan D. Koldewyn
W/C 620 Leading Petty Officer
MALS-24 USN