Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Thursday, August 2, 2007

Not a "Utah" Mom

Here are the top five reasons I am not a "Utah" mom:

  1. I can't do Abby's hair. Try as I might, including an Enrichment Activity tonight, I am just awful at it. I will never have a little girl that always looks perfect on Sunday. Hey - if she's happy, does it matter? Besides, Blair does a great job with it. Nice to have a talented husband!
  2. I'm too old to fit in with the moms who have kids Abby's age...and I feel too young to fit in with the moms who have older kids (like people I went to high school with). I am in the weird "middle" which makes living in Utah as a mom not the most fun.
  3. I don't scrapbook. I LOVE taking pictures with the camera(s) that Blair has lovingly provided me with over the past few years...but they will never show up in a scrapbook. Maybe this blog is my technological attempt...but no, I'm not scrapbooking.
  4. Unlike "Utah Moms", I like to expose Abby to LOTS of different people...different cultures, ethnic backgrounds, religions, ways of life, etc. etc. I want her to know that the world is full of marvelous people/things/experiences. And, they don't all have to look or act like her. Ironically (and luckily), living 10 minutes from Salt Lake City provides us with lots of opportunities for this kind of activity. I believe she is being enriched by this...and it isn't "bad" for her.
  5. I have very liberal opinions and like to express them on occasion. This does NOT make me popular in many "Utah Mom" circles. Can I help it if I think the poor should be fed and the homeless sheltered and EVERYONE included??? I'm pretty sure I'm not going to change!

So, there it is. Not a "Utah Mom." Not even close. But, in a great book I just read called "Confessions of a Slacker Mom" maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe just being me is enough...I guess time will tell, eh?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As I sit here at 3 a.m. playing with the computer and watching "Arrested Development" upon coming home after a 9-hour shift, I had to smile at your blog about being a "Utah Mom". I, too, harbor liberal tendencies (I recently registered as a Democrat!) that frighten some of my family members, I have to assume that I can't do girl hair since I have only boys, and I might possibly scrapbook if I could fit it into my fascinating life as a full time IRS drone/mother of 3. I frequently associate with an eclectic group of people that include pot-smoking "hippies", various ethnicities, those practicing "alternative" lifestyles, and/or non-Mormons. Actually, my closest friends are quite a bit like me and they are moms, too. So, maybe we just need to redefine the definition of "Utah Mom"! :0)

Oh... and, completely off the subject, I've been meaning to email you about what Zachary said the other day. He was mad and crying for some reason -- probably because I wouldn't let him eat potato chips for breakfast-- and he started sobbing, "I want Abby!". He's also already counting down the days to the next cabin visit. Poor girl... she probably doesn't know what to do about a 3 year old boy being so obsessed with her! lol!

Laurel C. said...

You definitely need to come out here and visit me! Talk about exposing your child to different cultures, ethniticies, and opinions... boy, San Francisco and the Bay Area is the place to be! We could have a great time. Keep checking those cheap Delta tickets each week! :)