Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Abby Can Read!

As most of you know, I am one of those annoyingly proud parents that LOVE to tell everyone how totally smart my child is...and I guess it would be more annoying if it wasn't TRUE! But she is - she is SO smart! I guess it's just amazing to me that a child that I had some effort in producing is so smart...it must all be from her dad! Tonight Abby's homework was a little book they made at kindergarten today called "Cat Sat." Her assignment was to color in the pictures and then read me the book. When I volunteered at Abby's school a few weeks ago, we worked on similar projects. I would read a worksheet with little words on it to each student and they would read them back. Some of them were really struggling and I had to help them. I was impressed then that Abby really seemed to be "getting it" but no one NEAR as impressed as tonight...when she sat me down and read ME a bedtime story instead of the other way around. Here is the book...
Complete with my signature, so she can turn it in tomorrow. I guess I knew she was learning a lot of words, but WOW - I can't even describe how AWESOME it feels to have your five-year-old sit you down and read you a book! She can't now imagine how many worlds this will open up to her...I have always LOVED to read and have found it a cure for most everything....sadness, boredom, anger, indifference, curiosity, etc. etc. etc. I can't imagine how different my life would have been without books and words. I was so inspired that I took my entire "Chronicles of Narnia" collection out of Abby's room to start re-reading! Guess I better get started...good night, all!

No comments: