Lilypie Next Birthday Ticker

Monday, January 28, 2008

Gordon B. Hinckley 1910-2008

I guess I always knew that he was getting older...although until recently you really couldn't tell.  He certainly didn't act like most 97-year-olds, although I really haven't known very many!  He was amazing in about ten million ways.  I think one of the reasons I really admired him was his love for EVERYONE.  It didn't matter who you were, you just knew he loved you.  I was always anxious to hear him speak at General Conference every six months and have absolutely, truly loved hearing him speak.  I've been lucky enough to see him in person a few times at meetings in the Tabernacle and Conference Center and very well remember everyone rising to their feet and the absolute silence that would occur as he walked into the room.  It didn't feel real until this afternoon when I was driving home (early, because of the storm) and listening to the radio.  They were discussing how a public viewing would probably be held and I remembered walking past President Benson's casket in the Church Administration Building and suddenly thought - NO, not President Hinckley!  While I am certain that a joyous reunion has taken place there will be many that will miss him.  I am one.  


My sister sent me the following link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC0W0ZVI9ak but be prepared - you might need some Kleenex's.  I'm just grateful for the past 13 years to have been inspired and taught by such a great leader.  We'll miss you, President Hinckley!  

1 comment:

Mama Mimi said...

A wonderful tribute to President Hinckley. Things just feel a bit different right now, don't they.